this is turning into the same bag of worms as my PLB carry post!
which is fine because i get a lot of good feedback that i have no other way of getting,when your in the "retirement bubble" you don't get around much.
so anyway yes its a revolver,357 four inch Taurus that i bought in the 80's just for solo canoe tripping. i'm x-Army and handled a lot of weapons so after running half a box of ammo thru it i said "got it" and put it way until the next solo trip.with a buddy to watch your back i don't fret as much about camp bears.i carry a pepper spray on some of the portages but have never seen a bear that did not run when it saw me.
i don't like to be slinging lead around.a camp that a bear might come into looking for food would be in one of the well used bays.
i feel safer back in the bush whack lakes where most campers don't want to take the hassle to get back into.
i'll go with what i call "local knowledge",that is the bears where i'll be sharing the woods with will run away from a loud sharp BANG the same as they will stay away from a family banging on pots and pans.

i'll go with this..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (08/19/14 05:09 AM)