I'm surprised to see that this thread is still on the board.I see some great discussions have taken place on it. I myself am a pyro when Im out. I carry a LOT pf fire making products in my pockets, pack and PSK. That's why I went so heavy on them when I was designing on paper and what prompted my query. I myself have always soaked my cotton balls in petroleum jelly. When I was a kid they were called Air Force fire starters and the article clearly stated they were SATURATED. I have never had a problem lighting them under any condition even though they were smashed. I have never attempted to ignite them with a fire steel however. I agree with matches being reliable, though they are frowned on these high tech days.

When we returned home we stopped at Wal-mart for groceries and I slipped off to sporting goods where I purchased a few items I notice the Coleman match case is now more red than orange. And that the quality of Stormproof matches seems to have gone downhill. Bent, split and even broken splints and the one I ignited did not seem to burn as long or as hot as they did before.
I finally found an Ultimate Survival Technologies item that did not disappoint me. It's a fire steel in a compact orange case that will be in my pocket gear when I wander off the pavement.

Edited by Deathwind (08/16/14 05:51 PM)