As with many other things, there are various points of view about survival equipment use. During my Air Force training, they said we could either pack the stuff and keep it only for emergencies or use it every day. Both techniques have their value. Depends on the person. I prefer to use my emergency kit daily. I know how everything works, I know it’s its current state and I have developed confidence that the stuff I carry will indeed work when I need it. There are only two items that I carry which I do not use routinely, the led light and a lighter. I carry two of each of these, one in my kit and one in my pocket. These are the only “expendable” items that cannot easily be replaced. But everything else gets used, and replaced as needed. And when the ones in my pocket need replacing, the replacements come from the kit and new ones are put in the kit.

Another variation of this issue is, should the stuff be carried in a kit, or spread through your pockets. You can loose the kit, but are less likely to loose all your pockets. Still, I prefer a kit. Although my EDC stuff gets supplemented with other modular kits depending on how/where I am traveling. Then stuff usually ends up in the pockets of a vest, or a backpack. But I have heard many stories about pilots taking off their vests, just for a second, and for one reason or another, being separated from their vests and all their gear.

My point is that there is no “best way”. Depends on the individual circumstances. I tried many methods until I found one that works best for me. But it probably won’t work best for you.

Nomad.