Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
The firecards work well. Essentially similar idea to Spark Lite Tinder Quik, different form factor. They have both advantages and disadvantages compared with the Tinder Quik. How you pack stuff and carry it is more the determining factor than performance. I do find that the Tinder Quik is quicker and easier to fluff up and get ready to accept a spark. One reason I prefer it for my kits. Plus, Tinder Quilk is easier to find and typically less expensive.

I found Tinder Quik is a lot more water resistant than Tinder Card. I agree with your other observations.

+1 to this. I really really love the Tinder Quik as well, but if you get it wet beyond a quick splash it soaks up water and won't light well. I once soaked some for five minutes and it was game over. But the Tinder Card is much more water proof. It is true that the TQ is easier to light without any tools; to light the TCard with a spark you really need to fray and fluff it. If you have a knife that's pretty easy; without a knife it takes some work.

One great thing about the T-card is that it can easily be cut with a sharp knife into shapes that fit wherever. For instance I will cut rounds of it and put them into the cap of my UCO Storm Match Case. I will also cut a few strips about 1/4" x 2" and stick then down among the matches. You can also cut a card to fit an Altoids tin.

The best solution IMOHO is to use multiple methods! I often vacuum seal Tinder Q and Tinder Card together in small mylar bags. Usually I even put a tablet or two of ESBIT 4g fuel in there with them.