Originally Posted By: Deathwind
I'd like to see charts for various proposed survival times for different PFD's like float coats and the float coveralls, which I hadn't even heard of before. And what about various, such as wearing a hat, boots or other base clothing. Someone, somewhere must have looked into this? Maybe military.
It is tough to find that kind of information. One reason is that there are so many variables that it is hard to put together a meaningfull chart or graph. Note that even the simple charts that ireckon and I linked have a very wide range. Take for example the effects of wearing clothing. How much clothing? How many layers? Cotton, wool, poly pro, fleace, goretex? How well does it fit, snug, loose? Is the person fit or a couch potato? Skinny or fat? If so, how fat? Young or old?

Since I live in an area with cold water, and enjoy various water related activities, I've done a fair bit of reading on the subject. For whatever it's worth, below are a few observations. Note that cases 1-4, the differences in survival due to these factors are fairly small. For cases 5-7 the differences can be significant. Ranked very roughly from small effect to large effect:

1. Women have a slight advantage over men. (Different % of body fat?)
2. Being somewhat overweight is a slight advantage. (Fat gives a small bit of insulation.)
3. Almost any clothing you are wearing will help slightly. You loose heat by the water circulating around your body. Clothing slows down the water circulating past your skin and helps you retain a slight bit of heat. Wearing a full set rain gear over pile or fleece probably buys you a bit longer survival than being naked.
4. A float coat gives a bit of insulation. (Unless it fits too loosely.)
5. Float coveralls AKA a "work suit" (Type V PFD) gives quite a bit of insulation. (Snug up the ankles and cuffs to reduce water circulation.)
6. A dry suit over insulation makes a HUGE difference (many hours) in survival.
7. A neoprene survival suit (a "gumby suit") makes an even bigger difference in survival (many many hours).

One bit of info that may help is from Mustang Survival. See the chart with "clo values". Mustang gives a clo rating for some of their products.

Edited by AKSAR (07/17/14 01:11 AM)
Edit Reason: Clarification