Originally Posted By: Tjin
Heavy, cost more, more maintenance. In a world were people have a lack of exercise; just pedal. Cheaper and burning fat still beats using power.

I think electric assist bikes can be good solutions for a number of different situations: for those who have either long or very hilly commutes; people with health limitations (e.g., knee issues); people using cargo bikes. The example I linked to above is also an interesting case, where it allows using a fat bike (5" tires) as a commuter (which, I think, would be awesome in the winter).

Regarding cost, around here a kit costs about the same as one year of transit fare, depending on the one you get. So I think it could be a very good investment for someone who would like to commute by bike but who need that extra assistance to make the daily trip effectively.