Originally Posted By: ireckon
I'd also like to know about 7zip. Can you explain the differences and why Truecrypt was not the best for you? For all I know, Truecrypt may not be the best for me either.
7zip is open source, but effectively Windows only. Other apps claim to read the same file format on other platforms, but I've not tried them.

Mostly I didn't feel there was anything wrong with TrueCrypt, I just didn't need its extra features. 7zip felt lighter weight. It doesn't need a device driver or need to mount a disk. It also does compression and makes files as big as they need to be, and TrueCrypt seems geared towards fixed-sized volumes which, without compression, tend to be very large. I tried using the Windows O/S compression within a TrueCrypt volume, but it wasn't enough. I could have used 7zip for compression and TrueCrypt for encryption, but that would be more complex.

One benefit of TrueCrypt is the plausible deniability. I don't need that. Another is that it encrypts a whole volume, including things like temp files, which is good for security but again not something I need because my files are in clear on the disk anyway. I am just encrypting backups so I can store them in DropBox.