I tried my MFS for the first time this spring, and I was shoked how easy it was! I think the tinder is the key difference between our two experiences. I used a hunk of dryer lint I carry in my fanny pack. I used the file from my "el-cheapo" multi-tool (discontinued Al-Trade, $10 at Ace. The WAVE is on my X-mass list) to create the filings. I'd file down a bunch onto the lint, then pick up the lint and worked them deeper into the tinder, then I added some more on top. My very first strike caught fire and I was able to build a fire in a few short minutes.<br><br>Of course I also had a good supply of kindling (toothpick up to pencil thickness) and fuel (pinky, thumb & larger sizes) at hand, sorted into piles so I could easily build the fire up. I found it harder on subsiquent attempts when I didn't spend as much time filing off the MFS. Oh, it was outdoors, but it was a beautuful spring day with a slight breeze.<br><br>So I would advise folks to:<br><br>1. Practice on beautifu spring days so you become profecient before an emergeny appears.<br><br>2. Collect and prepare your tinder, kindling and fuel before you strike the first spark. Collect twice as much tinder and kindling as you think neccesary. You don't want to run through the woods at the last second trying to find more while your first fresh fire sputters in hunger for fuel.<br><br>3. Spend twice as much time scraping, filing or shaving magnesium as you think is needed. It's quicker to spend a few extra minutes making magnesium filings than it is to search for more kindling and trying it a second time because your tinder didn't last long enough.<br><br>BTW, besides the ability to catch sparks and ignite the tinder, magnesium also has the advantage of burning very hot, which will help ignite the kindling. So spending a few extra minutes shaving more magnisium into the tinder also makes the job of building the fire easier.<br><br>BTW II - The toothpick, pencil, pinky & thumb descripions are what I have used with Boy Scouts when helping them start their first fire. They all want to run out and gather logs when they search for firewood, but none come back with enough of the small stuff to get the fire started. They also come back to the campsite with armloads of leaves. Arrrgggg!!!!<br><br>