Are you expecting to be in the path of the tornado someday, or do you frequently travel to disaster zones? I have traveled to hundreds of destinations for 30 years and the most interesting and untimely event was street protests in Greece, where my nationality might have made me a target if I hadn't been safely in a hotel. Few of us are war zone reporters or must travel so equipped. I have not been to Africa or many places in South or Latin America. Unless you are looking for them, most travel avoids natural and man made disasters.

So packing disaster kits for international travel is problematic - do you want to cart pounds of gear with you for literally thousands of miles, on the off chance you may need them all of a sudden one day? Why not just travel with an element or two of better general preparedness?

In that light, I recommend

1. Cash in negotiable denominations. That means local currency and US dollars. I travel internationally with $400-500 and equivalent amount in a local currency. Has saved my hide a time or two to hail a cab or get a night or two unexpected accommodations. Or support a fellow traveler whose wallet has been stolen.
2. Your passport because LE requires it. You can define a disaster by being separated from your passport.
3. Mobile phone that connects to local networks, to rally assistance or rescue.
4. Flashlight. Small inexpensive red light beacon, for disaster signaling, in case you really need that.
5. Maps. Detailed road maps for anywhere you travel.
6. FAK. Your experience and qualifications, your choice of size and contents.
7. Micropur tablets. Good enough for 99% of destinations and water treatment.
8. Lightweight travel bag for clothing. smallish bag for hauling your every day and laptop. Be comfortable dumping out contents of either for more immediate or valuable goods. This ranges from having an empty bag to visit shops for food or stuff, to having room for essentials.
9. Raincoat and hat. Mom says don't go out without a coat, that still applies. Hat may be a matter of style, you can get by with a hood or an umbrella. Keep your head dry.
10. Light gloves. I like wool, Smartwool makes good ones. Can't tell you how often I've been in rural areas and worn my gloves when it cools at night.
11. Umbrella. Stay dry. You are happier.
12. Food. Get a days food and water when you land by visiting farmer's markets or shops. I also tend to buy a corkscrew too.

Something you can't pack but may need if the earth opens up underfoot are local friends. They will take you in for a few days and give you a ride to the train or airport. Loan you money etc. And you will do the same for them in the US. Be good and take care of your friends.

That's about it for me during travel. My 72 hour preparedness kit.

Edited by Lono (05/22/14 07:16 PM)