The 7mm exit pupil is not just for night vision (although it is the best choice for night). When the eye is not able to stay in the exit pupil the optics are nearly useless. This often happens in unstable conditions (i.e. on a boat or in an aircraft). The 7x50 has been a first choice in the marine world because it is easy to see when everything is in motion. It also works well at night. This is one of the problems with the small devices, they have a small exit pupil and are hard to hold steady.

I spend lots of time using binoculars, so I tend to buy higher end ones. The Steiners are a great choice for quality at a reasonable price. I have also found that the Leupold Green Ring binoculars provide excellent quality to price ratio as well. I have purchased 2 pair of the 6x30 and am very happy with them. They are not my Leitz's but are still great. They are particularly good for those with narrow interpupillary distance. One of the reasons I bought them. Work well for women and children with narrow faces. They use a synthetic body and are large enough to hold well but light. Roof prisms give you smaller size, but loose optical quality at any price point.

My pocket carry pair is an older set of Leitz (now Leica) 8x20 Trinovids. Excellent optics, rugged and easy to use. Only twice as large as small monoculars (my favorite is the Monovid - half of the Leica Ultravid 8x20). The 8x32 and 8x42 are good compromises for ease of carry and optical capability. My favorite non carry (mostly used at sea) binocular is the 7x50 Elcan (Leitz made in Canada). Too rich for me to own, but they were great when someone else paid for them.

As usual, no association with any of these companies except as a purchaser.

Respectfully,

Jerry