Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I think there is a big difference between hiking through the dark on an established trail vs doing actual land navigation in the dark.
When we do long day mountain ascents in the fall and early spring, it is not uncommon to set out in the early dark am on an established trail. However we are typically equipped with the proper lighting gear which includes headlamps and handheld flashlights when needed.

On the other hand, land navigation at night and not on any trail is not something I do as there are far too many chances of getting injured or worse.
Agreed. In scouts we attempted to summit Mt Whitney on an "overnight" hike to try and watch the sunrise from the summit (We didn't make it, btw).

But, it was a well marked trail, about 24-ish miles round trip. Once above the tree line, with a full moon, the place was BRIGHT. As in, we had shadows. The moon off the granite mountains was incredible. Anyway, easy trail to follow.

Land nav, eg military at night, I've never tried. Those I know that have, say they can only get a few miles in (and these are guys trying out for Special Forces billets).