Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
...but shooting isn't a particularly difficult skill...

I'll admit it doesn't take a whole lot of skill/practice to shoot 1 MOA at 100 yards with a rifle and ammo that are capable of that. You're not going to be doing that on your first outing with a rifle, but you can build to that level fairly rapidly with some training and practice. However, progressing beyond that level of shooting ... I disagree ... it DOES take skill and practice.

Quote:
...once mastering an air rifle, 1000 yard shooting with 7.62, .303 etc shouldn't be a problem...

??? Have you actually tried shooting at 1000 yards? Even a high-end expensive PCP air rifle isn't going to come close to preparing you. Air rifles are nice, I like and shoot mine frequently. And they do help in practicing some techniques for powder burners. But not for 1000 yard shots. Comparing yourself to a skilled 1000 yard sniper because you're good with an air rifle is a bit much. Most people couldn't even hit a school bus at 1000 yards. Myself probably included, and I have many decades of target shooting under my belt (non-competitive).