To ramble on a bit more about searches, "fishy" and otherwise, consider the dilemma faced by the searchers in this case.

Suppose you suspect it is a planned disapearence, and the father and kids are not really lost in the woods? Do you then suspend the ground search early? If you are wrong, then two children and their father might die as a result. Not something I would want on my conscience.

On the the other hand, suppose you continue to assume they are just lost in the woods, and don't consider othe possibilities, such as foul play? Then the children might be in very grave danger of another sort, and the perpetrator has an ever growing head start to escape.

That is why, as I suggested up thread, a good search will pursue both possibilities simultaneously. You try to conduct the most thorough, systematic ground search you can do. At the same time, law enforcement is doing as thorough and systematic of an investigation as possible. And the search managers must always try to maintain an open mind to all possibilities. That seems to be what is happening in this case: Search on for father, 2 kids in SC national park
Quote:
Crews were carefully marking each patch of land they cross over and have searched about a third of the 27,000-acre site, park spokeswoman Dana Sohen said Monday afternoon.

J.R. Kimbler sent a text message to a friend Saturday around 9:30 p.m. saying he and his kids were lost. The friend called the children's mother, who called authorities. A search party was immediately sent out. A few people at the park have reported hearing someone yelling for help, Kimbler's family said, but Sohen said authorities haven't been able to confirm any contact since the text message.

Officials closed the park Monday afternoon so they could fully concentrate on finding 43-year-old J.R. Kimbler, his 10-year-old son, Dakota, and 6-year-old daughter, Jade. Also, an investigate team from the National Park Service was checking on leads outside the park in case the family members weren't actually lost while hiking, Sohen said.