I don't see Bitcoin (or something similar) as the future. I see an Internet-based barter system as the future. It's de-centralized and still works without electricity, although just locally.

We currently have some Internet-based barter systems. However, bartering is not cool enough (yet) for it to catch a buzz like Bitcoin has. Bitcoin needs a couple more Mt. Gox's for a massive number of people (and the best programmers) to shift to something that is fundamentally different.

Come to think about it, Bitcoin could be traded in the barter system like any other good. Individuals exchange electricity, computing power, or any other good/service for Bitcoins. There is no cash exchanged. Note that the U.S. government considers Bitcoin to be property, which equals a "good" in the barter system.

Something like Bitcoin may have to remain in the barter system. As a practical matter, some type of currency may be necessary to pay for things like health care. Or maybe I'm brainwashed to think that way...