Originally Posted By: Russ
I hope no one is recommending tools to assist in theft of a bike during an emergency situation. Really bad form, the owner of that bike may be counting on it for the same situation.

I don't think the cutters are for bike locks, but for gates and fences. Depending on the emergency, cutting through fenced and/or gated property may be necessary.

As an example; At the time of the 07 wildfires, the only viable escape route from my apartment was to head east toward the fire and then north or south on the freeway. If (when) the fire jumped the freeway, the only way out without a bolt cutter was a single, chapparell lines, two lane road headed west. With a bolt cutter, there were several additional routes available through golf courses. Bicycles could easily navigate the golf cart paths, and the concourses themselves were considerably less flammable then the chapparell bordering them. The fire jumped the freeway 2 days after we bugged out.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane