Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
When I worked downtown and depended on commuter rail to get there, I had myself a think about hoofing it home 40 miles.

I stashed a good pair of broken-in boots and some other gear in my office, but I didn't have a place to store a bike.

Assuming that the commuter rail was down and it didn't make sense to stay somewhere downtown, my preferred options were as follows:
  • Hop in a taxi and go
  • Rent a car and go
  • Buy a bicycle and go
  • Hoof it

Towards those ends, I always had credit cards and plenty of cash on hand -- enough to buy a decent hybrid bike, which was more than enough for a 40-mile cab fare. I also knew where the car rental places and bike shops were, and where cabs could be successfully hunted.

Barring massive loss of infrastructure, taxis, buses, and privately owned vehicles are still viable. Paper bus schedules and taxi listings, cash on hand, good shoes, and a comfortable pack will handle most situations. The snag will be that with an unexpected large area event (i.e. 2011 Southwest Blackout), everybody will be scrambling for the same limited resources at the same time. Since these events commonly involve loss of power, you will not be able rent a car, get cash from an atm, or use a credit card.

That is where bikes, scooters, etc. will come into play. With your office space constraint (I'm assuming you're cubical rat like me), a folding bike or scooter stored under your desk may be a good solution. The downside is that these are not cheap (~$300), and the increased speed translates to increased risk of injury.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane