I don't own any, but to me, the use of cryptography to create a secure form of digital money fascinates me.

And on more of philosophical/political level, the possibility of having a medium of exchange whose creation is not controlled by central authorities--and all that this possibility implies--also has an appeal to me.

Not going to happen, though. Or certainly not unless something catastrophic happened to force through major changes in our monetary system. Perhaps some petty dictator suddenly discovers the world's largest oil reserve and decides to sell the oil only in Bitcoin--a new petro-e-dollar, if you will. It would probably take something crazy like that to really gain traction. Of course, said petty dictator would be taken down in short order by...well, we all know this how story line goes.

But for the majority of folks with serious skin in the game, I don't think Bitcoin is seen any differently by them than flipping houses. It's just another "thing" to buy low (or mine low) and sell high in a reasonably short period of time.