My travel experiences post-20010911 have been limited to intercontinental trips, where I have discovered that security is quite a bit less stringent than I was led to believe. I've gotten things through checkpoints that would probably make John Ashcroft [censored] his short pants without even trying--and I mean stupid things like forgetting I put my titanium utensils in my carry-on. The sharps *do* go into the checked bag (a necessity if you intend to carry most normal survival gear), however. Now, I am told that *domestic* US security is a lot more strict...but I'll believe it when I see it.

It's sad, but basic survival gear can get you picked up by the threat monitors. Things like the 3M folding respirators I carry around (remeber all that dust in Manhattan?), or the windproof Brunton Helios cigarette lighter I have (I smoke--bad survival rule), or even seemingly innocuous items like a Black Diamond AirLock locking 'biner I got stopped for at EWR (that I use to clip my bags together for *my* security--they thought it could be used as "brass knuckles"--idiots.) Essentially, anything that John Ashcroft thinks a terrorist might find useful--never mind the fact that these things have perfectly lawful uses!

And the only time my luggage has actually been lost was when one bag didn't make it on to the plane at Fiumicino (but that's Italy for ya). Despite the fact that the bag was laden with expensive electronics (shortwave, GMRS radios [actually illegal to use those freq's in the EU, didn't know before I left, will buy EU-types in future], etc, etc), I got everything back in good working order a few days later via FedEx.

BTW, I never lock my checked luggage--they'll just crack the locks, anyway.

Come to think of it, my bag may not have made it on to the plane because they may have been busy checking all the electronic gear for bombs and the like! There was a "radar malfunction" at Fiumicino that day--lots of things got screwed up.

Oh yes, and I always carry at least *two* towels. At least you can put one over your head so you can't see what's coming, if it comes to that...thank you very much Mr. Adams...

Edited by amper (05/28/04 04:30 AM)