Originally Posted By: Eugene
Thats why I was just illustrating how simple it is. You don't need to look for combinations of words since you start comparing from the beginning of the text string and once you match a word or words you match the next. In your example it would just take 4 passes.

This is really something I don't understand; I know in the movies they show passwords being decrypted this way, one character (or as you are describing, word) being decrypted at a time but I always assumed that like pretty much anything else shown in the movies with computers, that this was yet another misrepresentation. Movie makers tend to think computers are magic.

My assumption was that a brute force password guessing algorithm would basically only get a boolean result; it worked or it didn't. I don't understand how it could know it was partially correct unless somehow it had access to the encrypted password, but then I would think that you'd be dealing with an entirely different type of algorithm.

But again, this out of my area of expertise. Any references that would help me understand this better?