Unless you are in a position where you need to travel at night--desert or an E&E situation--your body generally wants to sleep when it's dark. Don't fight it. As a counterpoint, I have worked evenings and midnights for 32 years...in the woods. The "kids" I FTO'd always got an initial lesson of: let's sit for five minutes, with the lights out, and THEN go to work. I have a Streamlight Stylus (no affiliation) that I carry for when I REALLY can't see where I'm going; I also have a much brighter light, for when I need to blind everyone. Working in the dark has allowed me to work much more efficiently, than trying to work with any kind of light on.
For recreational hiking, wait for some moonlight, or plan to move much more slowly in starlight. I have had some wonderful times eating "lunch" in the middle of the night, overlooking the countryside...

And totally off-topic: I was home last week: but not back on a Cracker Pony in a Cypress forest. Makes me wonder why I put up with last winter here, instead of FTL...

Edited by UncleGoo (04/14/14 03:30 AM)
Edit Reason: off-topic commentary