My new employer is in California, I live in Pennsylvania. That means, once again, heavy air travel for me. I used to travel with my leatherman wave at my side, now, of course, that "dangerous weapon" can't be on my person.
But does that mean I don't travel equipped? Of Course Not!

So, here, from a guy who once logged 1000 flight segments (segment=takeoff & landing) in a 12 month period, are my general rules for equipped air travel, 2003 edition.

1. There are only two kinds of luggage, "Carry-on" and "Lost" If there is something you actually want to have at your final destination, ship it out ahead of time via Fedex or UPS or Airborne if at all possible. Checking bags & picking them up will usually add at least 1 hour, more often 1.5 hours, sometimes even more to your total travel time - IF your bags arrive where you do. For longer trips, I send clothes, books and other stuff out to my hotel (including a leatherman tool!) and have it waiting for me when I get there. It's well worth the money.

2. Following the sage advice of Douglas Adams, author of "The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy", Carry A Towel. I carry two "camp towels" in my kit. They get plenty of use, to cover my lap when I'm drinking coffee in the plane, to wash up when I spend the night on a chair in an airport, and more.

3. An eVest or Photographer's Vest is Worth 3 Free Carry-On Bags. You can stuff them full of goodies and still have a carry-on bag. I wear an eVest with my water, cell phone, toiletries, ID and more. Short of clothing, it's got all I really need for a trip packed in it.

4. Carry a charged spare cell phone battery, but NEVER use it unless you are in an actual emergency.

5. Pack a liter or so of water in .5 liter bottles.

6. Carry a flashlight & spare batteries. Like I need to tell people on this board to do this this. I do carry only Lithium AA batteries, just to save weight.

7. Carry a few safety pins on your keychain. Amazing what you can do with them when your pants rip, shirt looses a button and so forth. I also put 2 paperclips on my keychain because I need them to reset my PDA now and then and have found they come in handy for other things.

8. Bring Food. Granola Bars, Energy Bars, something. Try to avoid the crap the serve on the plane, it's truly bad for you.

9. Carry a small cable lock for your bags. There will come a day when you will spend the night in the airport. You will want to lock your bags to something relatively secure. Also...

10. Pack a light blanket. I have a nice little polarfleece blanket I throw into my carry-on bag. You'll appreciate it during those overnights at the airport, or when they forget to provide blankets for coach on a red-eye from SFO to EWR.

I also pack a small first aid kit, a small sewing kit and some flat duct tape, all in my vest.

Anyone else have some flight tips?