Where I live, no declination adjustment is needed, so a pocket watch type compass is all I need for a primary and a liquid filled button compass for a backup. In the northern part of Minnesota, magnetic compasses don't work reliably, no matter the cost or complexity, due to the four iron ranges there.

I carry a simple base plate compass in my pack for planning with a map, an old pocket watch style compass in my pocket for hiking, and a button compass or a pin-on bubble in my small survival pack. I only need to know the general direction to walk the old logging roads or prairies.

When out grouse hunting, I use the pin on bubble to insure that I took the right turn on the logging road intersection. I only need the button compass as a secondary backup. I buy them a dozen at a time, sprinkle a few around the vehicles and various packs, and give the rest to little nieces and nephews.

I have only had one button compass totally fail, and that came mounted in an Eddie Bauer hiking pole that I use on the county hiking trails near home.