Mark, We had a thread a little while back on just that subject. But I can send you whatever I have. I browse through news on the web very frequently, but the tips I have received from this forum have proven the most valuable in finding these stories. It is a primary concern for this forum, and there are people spread all around North America, some in Europe and now even in Asia.

That is something to encourage with all members here, please post links to stories of survival or emergency situations. These are valuable for all of us. And the knowledge you share here benefits more than just those who look here.

Mark, everyone has that same problem, knowing when and how to step back and not try to fix a problem. No matter the age, gender, or psychological tendencies. Especially as a parent and it is your child having the problem. You are not having more difficulty than any of the rest of us in that regard.

Adolescents are generally idiocentric, they view everything through the lens of how it affects them, and social status is very salient at that age. Boys are also naturally competitive in these types of skills, where girls are more likely to work socially and cooperate. It can be useful as a motivator, but you can't let it get out of control. If it turns to demeaning, hindering, or harming others it has gone too far. The scout law, oath, and other parts of scouting can be used to moderate the competitiveness, along with the idea of teamwork and building an identity as part of the troop. The troop succeeds or fails together, and it is in best interests of all to help the other members of the troop. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, use their strengths to work on the weaknesses of others, and even their own. Identify the strengths and weaknesses of each individual, and task organize accordingly. If you have one that is very good at knots, and very interested, have him teach the ones that are weak at it. if we have a competition at a camporee, I build the teams according to strengths. If we have a troop camp out, I encourage responsibilities to be given according to weaknesses. The best ways to learn are to have responsibility or to teach something. So those that are weak at a particular skill or trait get that responsibility or they have to teach it.