yes, both of you are right, I cannot control what the boys will do with the information provided, or any materials they walk away with. It is a harsh reality I am struggling to accept. Heck, even DS is having difficulty right now keeping up with his stuff so I think it is something to do with the age group, and as you said adolescent boys growing up to be men.

Montanero, I feel your pain, our troop is young as well, and not likely to get any older any time soon, a lot of first year webelos who were pushed through quickly to get their arrow of light to be able to join the troop, and a new group of first year webelos coming here in the next few months as well it looks like.

If i can talk the troop into it, I'd like to have selected campouts as survival campouts, where they can make do with limited equipment, or just their survival kits, or deal with survival scenarios. As you said, reinforcement of skills and reminding them to keep their kit items on hand or even bringing them in the first place. Another thing I'd like to see our council do is something a neighboring council does, a pioneering and wilderness survival camporee. It's sad that it seems like this is such a difficult sell in our area and in the scouting program at that, but in our council it seems to be, I might have better luck trying to get this to go as a district event.

I am wondering if some kind of reward system might work with the boys and their survival kit items, maybe start them with a few key items (thinking whistle and large contractors garbage bag, I think I have some spare mirrors and maybe a few other items too) to be awarded to those who stick with it and complete the merit badge. Then, as a reward for the boys who remember to bring those items to future outdoor events and activities, have some additional items for them to add or replace. not really sure but just thinking out loud.