I'm starting a new gig at work this week - working out of the office, out of my Jeep. I'm really looking forward to it, and feel very well set-up in terms of being prepared for an emergency with my current get home kit.

For the next week or two, though, 'll be working with different technicians, out of their vehicles. I hate the idea of jumping from vehicle to vehicle, and possibly forgetting the bag in the process, so, inspired by this thread, I'm going to leave my current GHB in my Jeep at the office and build a new temporary kit to take with me.

I didn't want to start a new thread to rehash the same stuff, so I thought I'd share a look at what I'm thinking right now.

My primary concerns are getting these priorities into one small backpack. I don't have funds to buy new gear, so I'm using my old summer day hike pack and unused gear that's stored around the house.

Pack

*I'm using my old summer day hike bacpack: a $30 Broadstone 25L Sport Day Pack. It's held up well to near daily use over the past year:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/broadstone-sport-day-pack-25-l-0760630p.html#.Uy-qt2PyBpg

Clothing
*I'll be wearing seasonally appropriate durable layers, but need a back-up layer as well as rain gear, for added warmth and in case I get wet.
*I'm on the hunt for a pair of steel-toed boots that I can comfortably hike in.

*Extra work t-shirt
*Fleece-lined Thinsulate watch cap
*Fleece-lined wool mitts
*Army surplus wool socks
*Polyfil jacket
*Poncho
*Bandanna

FAK & Hygene
*All vehicles have a office inspected (I am the inspector. wink ) FAK, so I need and IFAK for personal use.

*Bandanna
*Maxi pads
*Gauze pads
*Bandaids
*Tampons
*ACE bandage
*Polysporin
*Purelle
*Tweezers
*Xcalpel blade in Altoids tin PSK
*Personal meds X3 days
*Dental floss

Shelter
*I need to prepare to shelter in place in a vehicle (in sub-freezing temperatures) or a friend/co-worker's place.
*I may also face a walk to get back to the office and my vehicle. (We're going to be within about 65kms of the office at any given time.)

*Contactor's bags X3
*Clear plastic drop sheet
*Mylar blanket
*Paracord
*Chemical hand warmers
*Cordage in Altoids tin PSK

Water
*I'll bring a water bottle and a thermal bottle of coffee with me every day, so this kit needs to be able to make water potable.
*There are lots of rivers, streams and creeks around, as well as Lake Ontario, and we've also still got snow to melt.

*Canteen kit (Canteen, cup, stove & aluminum foil)
*MicroPUR tabs in Altoids tin PSK
*Bandanna

Fire
*We'll be in residential, commercial and industrial areas so being able to boil water is be a must, as is heat to combat the cold.

*BIC lighter
*Ferro rod on EDC keyring
*Waterproof container of hexicubes
*Altoid's tin PSK with: BICs, ferro rods, DOAN bar, sparklite, tinderquick, jute twine, candle....)

Food
*I'll bring my lunch and snacks every day, so this kit wants to be set up with an extra meal or two and some extra snacks in case of an unexpected lay-over.

*Retort pack of ready-to-eat rice
*Retort pack of tuna in oil
*2 stick beef jerky
*2 Clif bars
*2 packs hot chocolate
*2 packs instant 2-1 coffee

Communications & Navigation
*Reflective safety clothing (pants and vest is work requirement.

*Cel phone
*Cel phone charger
*Map and compass *I'll hopefully upgrade to a GPS soon
*Notebook, pen, pencil and sharpie
*Extra safety vest
*Change for pay phones wink
*Whistles (on keyring and in PSK)

Tools
*I'll be EDCing my Leatherman Wave, which has a maglite solitare and ferro rod (connected with braided jute twine)

*CRKT MT. Rainier folder
*Mini maglite and extra batteries
*LED headlamp and extra batteries
*Mini pry bar
*PSK, in a digital camera bag: mag bar, mini bic, Fox 40 slim, duct tape, a squeeze LED, tea light, and an Altoids tin PSK, which has - safety pins, jute twine, birthday candle, 4 MicroPUR tabs and a bunch of the components of the DR AMK Pocket Survival Kit (sparklite, tinderquick, cordage/thread, snare wire, scalpel blade, button compass, fishing kit)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA