As a scout master who has taught this, and a retired SF soldier that has attended several survival schools, I will say that the Boy Scout wilderness survival program is very good. As you have seen already, teaching in the order of the seven priorities makes it very logical and digestible. As Les said, limit you lecture time and do more hands on practice, this is always better, for everyone not just adolescent boys. Find several techniques for each priority, most are listed in the pamphlet, and let them practice over and over.

The merit badge pamphlet is right in line with Peter Kummerfeldt's book and with Cody Lundin's book. It is designed to teach them to survive until rescue, and to aid the rescue by being found more easily. It is not geared toward primitive technology or long term wilderness survival. It is very practical, realistic, and effective, for 99.999% of the population.

As for building a survival kit, I can point you to some of the items I have found that are effective, cheap, and small. I have mine build their kit based around a fanny pack so it is easy to attach to a backpack, carry on their person and is not cumbersome. Compact and light is key to ensure that the scouts actually have it with them when they may need it.

I also taught emergency preparedness soon after wilderness survival as these two have many overlapping and mutually supporting skills. It helps to ensure long term memory. I also encouraged parents to participate in both as much as they liked. This spreads the knowledge. As the scouts are likely to actually encounter emergency situations as either part of a troop or with their families it also helps to increase the chances of survival.