Ok, so I may or may not have mentioned this before, but DS has moved up to a boy scout troop, I am an Assistant Scout Master, and have been "volunteered" to run/organize/teach the wilderness survival merit badge. I had had a copy of the merit badge pamphlet since last spring, and have been looking at it with much closer scrutiny in the last few months trying to figure out what materials we would need and what would be the best way(s) to teach the material. At first the requirements appeared to be rather random and willy nilly, placed in the order that they are in the pamphlet. When I really got to looking at each requirement, I realized that one of the twelve requirements is the BSA's seven survival priorities, and there were seven more requirements related to each priority for a total of eight of the requirements. Another requirement is putting together a survival kit (based on the BSA's outdoor essentials, and other items geared toward helping them accomplish the seven survival priorities) which also ties in nicely with the logical progression. The other three requirements also make good sense, one is about the steps to survive in different environments, one is about the proper clothing to wear, and the last one is how to protect yourself from insects, reptiles and bears.

All good stuff. So I have created an outline of the order I want to teach the material, survival priorities first, then details of each priority in the same order, creating a survival kit based on all the relevant information, and finally the proper clothing, steps to survive in different environments, and how to protect yourself from insects, reptiles and bears. It was when I started getting into the details of how to teach each requirement and sub-requirement that I started running into trouble. First, there is just too much material to teach it and do it right in one weekend, so I want to break it up into chunks that will retain the most continuity but still be manageable. Second, there is more to teaching each requirement than one might realize. So here is where I am needing some help.

Any suggestions on how to split the material up, without losing the continuity, but keeping it manageable? We'll likely have at least a good full day (like a saturday) or more likely a full weekend for the chunks.

Any suggestions for teaching the requirements? I do plan to use as much hands on teaching as possible, i don't want to just have the boys sitting around listening to me or another scoutmaster droning on about the requirement in question. I'd like plenty of opportunities for the boys to learn the skills and then demonstrate them. I will be getting the other scoutmasters/parents involved (our troop is fortunate to have four very active leaders and two others that will hopefully also be there and pitch in one way or another) by having each one teach at least one of the requirements. I did find several older threads on this subject, but any new or additional tips or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.