Glock,

I probably wasn't articulate enough in my explanation. This was a bear hunting trip, so decision to shoot was easy. We were stalking this bear with the intention of shooting it. The plan was to get into position to be able to take a shot at 100 yards or so. However, the stalk didn't go as planned, the bear moved while we were moving, and we encountered it much closer than I would have liked. However, I had a chance to take a shot, and I did. The bear is now a rug on my wall.

Had we not been hunting for the bear, but rather just out hiking and accidently met the bear, it would have been a harder (but still very quick) decision as to whether to shoot. When I saw the bear, he was looking at me and I think he was as surprised as I was. Most of the time, bears will try to avoid people, and it is likely he would have turned and run off. However, he was very close, and if he charged he could have covered that distance in a second. If I had a gun (or spray) in hand I would have had it up with my finger on the trigger. If he started towards me I would have shot (or sprayed). If he turned the other way I would have not. At least that's what I think I would have done.

But if just hiking in that thick terrain (rather than hunting), I would probably been trying to make some noise. In which case the bear would probably have moved away before I ever saw him. When hiking in thick brush I usually sing my favorite blues songs, which generally scares off all wildlife (and people) in the area! smile

Of course bears don't always move away from people, even loud blues singers with lousy voices frown . For example a sow with cubs or a bear guarding a deer or moose kill might charge rather than run. A gun or spray is a back up in case you accidently find yourself meeting a grumpy bear at close range in one of those situations.