Personally, I'm a fan of relatively simple, analogue field watches.

However, recently, I've been a bit tough on my casual watches (i.e., those I'd wear when heading outdoors). Over the last couple of years I had a Timex Expedition E-Compass watch and a Momentum Atlas but both ended up with broken crystals (ironically, both in an office environment; not actually during what I thought would've been rough use). With the latter I was also having issues with the spring pins popping out at inconvenience times which was becoming a bit of a hassle (the Timex's pins screwed in, which was nice).

So, in a last ditch effort in find a watch I couldn't break (without resorting to a G-Shock which I don't like the style of) I picked up a Bertucci AT-2. These watches are a solid piece of titanium (they use a nato-style strap as the "pins" don't come out) and have recessed crystals. I also got their pro-guard which is an elastomer case cover that slips over the watch to provide added impact and abrasion resistance (which further protects the crystal!). So far I am pretty pleased with the purchase and think it is a great choice.

As an aside, I was recently inspired (by Man v. Wild ... I know, I know smile ) to start practising using my watch as a compass with the sun and am getting pretty comfortable with it.