First, let me say this: I can understand how this discussion of guns vs pepper spray can get heated and out of hand. That is not my intention and if it starts to lean in that direction I'll ask one of the mods to lock or delete this thread, whichever is done on this site. That said, I appreciate all information, tips, advice and links from everyone. You've all been very informative and helpful. I thank you for that.

Chaos
Hence the big gun and possibly spray. If I can leave the animal alive and a bit leery of humans, that's a win win. But when the chips are down, if I can only have one, I'll take the gun, far more multi purpose and in my opinion, more sure of stopping the bruin. A dead bear is a better option than a dead me, JMHO.

Hiker

I read an article by a guy who either lived or just spent a lot of time on Kodiak Island. He carried a .44 mag and I believe a .460 Weatherby mag and had some good advice. He was the one who said the.44 isn't effective and the recoil of the Weatherby had become too much so he switched over to a shotgun with slugs. All well and good, IF I can retrieve my gear and guns and bow. But I'm looking at the worst case scenario, where I get out with only my vest and what's in my pockets. So a handgun is the choice of the day. I even considered two handguns. The big one for dangerous game, and a .357 with assorted .38/.357 loads as a hunting tool for smaller game. Thanks for the link.

AKSAR

I'm willing to go the non lethal route, it's a wild animal, it doesn't know any better. He see's a lot of easy meat for the taking, in HIS territory. It's no more personal than a hunter shooting a deer for the freezer. But looking at my vest design the bear spray would be with my grab n go bag, so it might come down to pistol and a well placed shot. Or three. I would rather err on the side of caution. Thanks for the links.

Haertig

Very well said. I agree whole heartedly. Except about the handgun range. With an "insane" caliber I'd feel comfortable out to fifty yards. But at that range I'd fade away, or just try to discourage him. He's not an immediate threat at fifty. At twenty five it's time to take action.

All that said; The chances of going down and being in a survival situation are very small. And having to face a bear in a life or death confrontation in a survival situation is even smaller. But I'd be a fool not to consider the possibility of it happening, and not preparing for it would make me an even bigger fool. Besides, There's a lot of mental comfort in being armed and equipped in the back country. JMHO.

Edited by Deathwind (03/16/14 08:13 PM)