Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Seems unlikely to have a birdstrike shut off the transponder.
But we're having to think of every possibility.

I was thinking that the bird carcass richocheting around he cockpit could have damaged the radio stack. But, I'm not familiar enough to say with certainly

I saw a report of an AD on the 777 describing corrosion around an antenna mounting that might lead to decompression.
Then got to thinking that if the transponder antenna mount were torn away the lack of antenna would look like loss of transponder to the ground stations.

Combine with sloppy flight deck behavior such that no pilot could get to his mask in time then you have the Payne Stewart scenario of a plane flying on autopilot with no live souls on board until it runs out of fuel.

But you'd expect one of the countries along the route to pick up the ghost plane on radar - so this theory has holes in it.

That and there are duel upper and lower fuselage antennas. It would require both to be taken out before that the transponder signal was completely lost.

I think the high-probability one is hijacking followed by unauthorized pilot flying toward some target (like the high towers in Kuala Lumpur?) with a 911 type crash in mind.
But since this flight went out over water at night, perhaps they inadvertently descended into the water while still trying to figure out how to aim for their target?

Would a terrorist group claim responsability for a semisuccesfull hijacking? The plane was hijacked, but failed to reach it's target (i.e. flight 94).

That still leaves cockpit fire. There was one previously at Cairo that burned through the fuselage and resulted in an FAA Airworthiness Directive (2011-NM-279-AD). I don't know if Malaysia adopted it or the corresponding Boeing bulletins.

If there was a cockpit fire, it would explain the sudden left turn as an attempt to get the plane on the ground. The radar track took it close to Hat Yai International Airport in Thailand.

EDIT: Disregard last paragraph. Vietnam aiports were closer.

Edited by Mark_R (03/13/14 08:30 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane