Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
I am intrigued at the extent to which this thread has focused on the tactical type of day pack, which in my experience, aren't all that great.
PALs Molle kit can be heavy and not very space efficient, but it is very flexible and modular. I think that these Heavier packs can be useful for folks especially in the USA so as to keep kit and things adequately organised. i.e. different pouch/zipped compartments can be used for various uses such medical kits, shelter kits, cooking and stove kits etc. (Although for some reason rarely a sleep system kit crazy) The weight is a secondary after thought as walking carrying heavier load outs will be secondary to just slinging them in the back of a vehicle.
MOLLE and similar tactical style gear is a very specialized adaptation, primarily for military uses. It does have advantages for those folks.

However IMHO, the vast majority of civilian buyers of this gear would be much better served with a simpler, lighter design. Most all of the really skookum outdoors people I know prefer a much cleaner exterior for their pack. Less excess material to add weight, and less pockets, flaps, buckles, and other crap to snag on brush. Organization is usually better achieved by sorting your gear into several stuff bags, inside the pack. The newer silnyl stuff bags are strong, waterproof, and weigh nothing.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
There is quite an influence on users of these military inspired back packs....
That is the "Tacticool" effect. Don't you know...you automatically become a lean mean tough machine when you put on a coyote colored pack with lots of MOLLE stuff attached? smile