Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Without AGPS your GPS lock time will go from 10 or 20 seconds to up to 5 minutes, but will work the same otherwise.
I believe that is true only for the "time to first fix" at a new location (a long ways from the last place you used it). As I understand it, any GPS needs "almanac" and "ephemaris" data to function. This is the data that tells the GPS where to look for satellites and enables the GPS to calculate your location from those satellites. Which satellites are available depends where you are on the surface of the world. The satelillites constantly broadcast this data, but it is slow to download. Your stand alone GPS stores the data for your current area. If you turn off your GPS, then travel a few hundred miles and turn it back on, it takes some time to download the new data, and this slows the first fix. With AGPS your cell phone first tries to grab that data off the cell network, and that speeds up that first fix.

Originally Posted By: Russ
Quote:
...Are Apple products different?
Yes, I think they are. Some of the Android phones have GPS separate from the network, the iPhone needs the network enabled. When I try to use any of the apps I have that will show lat & long, they don't function if the iPhone is in Airplane Mode. I guess the real question is will enabling the network allow the GPS function to work even if the phone has no access to the cell network. It will supposedly still work for 9-1-1 calls so...
Putting your iPhone into Airplane mode also turns off the GPS. In normal mode your iPhone GPS will still work fine without access to a cell network. However your mapping functions will not work without the network, unless you have downloaded and stored the maps on the phone. The ability to do that depends on the app.

EDIT - Regarding iPhones, GPS, and airplane mode, see the Apple Support Pages note iOS: Understanding airplane mode:
Quote:
When you enable airplane mode from the Settings screen, an airplane icon appears in the status bar at the top of the screen and the following wireless connections and services are turned off:

Cellular (voice and data)
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth
GPS Location services
If allowed by the aircraft operator and applicable laws and regulations, you can re-enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth while in airplane mode:

Wi-Fi: While airplane mode is on, tap Settings > Wi-Fi, then turn Wi-Fi on and choose a Wi-Fi network.
Bluetooth: While airplane mode is on, tap Settings > Bluetooth, then turn Bluetooth on.

Edited by AKSAR (03/03/14 11:54 PM)