Here's my .02....
Bought a mag bar back when I was in the Corps. Carried it in the field and never had much luck even under the best of conditions. It's short life ended in a blinding brilliance in a camp fire. I wouldn't have another if you gave it to me.
Bought a sparklite and tenders a year ago. Have tested under every weather condition since then. Had very good luck starting fires in mild conditions, but as weather worsens so does it's ability to start a fire. After a 2 day heavy rain and 1 day of mild weather, starting a fire with this method was near hopeless. Got one started after using a combined 5 tenders, thus using up the rest of my supply of tenders.
As far as life boat matches go, wind proof and water proof are their greatest advantages, but after a 2 day rain, near worthless.
Had good results with vasoline soaked cotton. Was actually surprised at how well they worked after a long rain.
BUT, I have never failed to start a fire even under the worst conditions using trioxane bars, rainy season in a tropical forest, snow covered landscape above the arctic circle, deserts of Arizona and West Texas, swamps of North Carolina, from California to Nebraska.
For a good many years I have tried just about everything for starting fires and my absolute favorite is trioxane.
Some may say that they are too big. Well, so is my kit.
We used to say in the Corps that we could carry anything in the field, in addition to our issue, we just had to be wiiling to carry it.
I basically carry shelter, fire, water and first aid. I keep it pretty simple.
I'll still carry my sparklite and a ferro bar.
If someone likes some other methods, that's fine.
But I tell you what, if it means the difference between life or death, I'm using something that I have the most confidence in after years of testing.
And isn't that what it's all about?