Deathwind,

You must, of course choose your own path. Disagreement is good. I am just giving my opinion too. It is however based on over 50 years working and recreating in the bush, most of it in places where large, sometimes dangerous animals live (and more than a few unexpected nights out). I have had encounters with most of them, and have yet to need to shoot one (yet?). I usually carry a rifle, a pistol and/or bear spray. I consider at least one of them a critical part of a northern survival/EDC kit.

A big knife is very useful, although I usually carry a smaller one (on belt or in pocket) and an axe or saw (in my day pack), or both. I was not suggesting you don't bring one.

In this type of location, depending on the aircraft, sitting position and type of flight, I often wear an old military survival vest with a knife and handgun. In other situations I carry it as AKSAR suggested. Other times I carry a daypack with my primary survival kit. I always have a minimal survival kit in my pockets. At least a knife, fire starters (matches, lighter and rod), something to eat, usually a FAK and small surrvival kit (currently a modified RSK), and a space blanket. This, along with appropriate clothing will get me through the night. If I have my vest I am going to be much more comfortable and with my pack very comfortable, but I will stay alive.

In my opinion a PLB may be the most important item I carry. The ELT on the aircraft has a high probability of failure (they don't work well under water or in pieces). The pilot probably won't (but getting more frequent) have a PLB.

I have not seen anyone (and certainly I did not) recommend an emergency air supply. The likelyhood of needing one is not up to the cost and complexity of owning one (certification, refilling after commercial flights, etc.).

Respect the potential problems, but do it realistically. The likelyhood of a crash in the bush is very small. The likelylhood of it being in deep water (bever dams and shallow streams usually don't require PFD's) is even less. Most of them happen within sight of the departure or arrival points. If you crash there is still a good chance that you will be able to retrieve your additional survival equipment. The likelyhood of having a bear or other animal in your camp is also very low. The chance that you can't scare it off without shooting is even lower. When you multiply these together it is so small that I don't consider the on body carry of everything to be much of a risk. Of course I do carry the minimal kit at all times since I don't consider the risk zero.

You must choose as you see fit.

The military standard for years was a survival vest with an inflateable PFD over it only when flying over big water.

Respectfully,

Jerry