When I use headlamps it's typically for relatively close work so I have an Petzl E-Lite for minor tasks like that. If you are using a headlamp for your primary light as you indicate I would agree something more capable would be in order.

This may not apply to you, but I switched to 18650 as my standard battery for a variety of reasons. Aside from the initial cost, the idea of "guilt free" lumens made the switch a no brainer -- I use the flashlight like crazy, as opposed to sparingly when I had lights that used CR123 primaries. I don't know how many half empty CR123s I have laying around because I like to go into situations with a full charge so I used to swap more than I needed to.

My current setup is a Zebralight SC600 Mk II for my EDC light, and a Blackshadow Terminator as my "larger" handheld light. Both ran $75-100 with another $20-40 in batteries, but they are amazingly bright. The Terminator isn't designed to throw but at 3,500 lumens it does anyway! The SC600 isn't very tactical, and I miss my forward clicky tactical style lights, but it does have a variety of options from very bright (900+ lumens) to less bright but with great runtime (5+ hours).

It seems silly but I would encourage you to delve further into your inquiry, not just asking here but browsing flashlight oriented forums. There is a lot to learn... and with so much out there, "buy once cry once" is the order of the day, otherwise you wind up with an extensive collection (which might happen anyway!)

Because you are doing search and rescue work I would suggest getting something with a high CRI and neutral or warm white instead of cool for truer color rendition.