To be fair, I just looked at the NOAA broadcast freqs in my area and there are two frequencies, one for the standard NOAA weather broadcast and one for the NOAA marine broadcast -- they are on adjacent channels so I may have tuned into the marine broadcast. While the coverage maps are similar, they aren't the same; the marine has less coverage over land.

Sooo, I'll pull out my weather radio (which just so happens to also have a brand new never used hand crank for charging its internal NiMH battery wink ) and see how well it works if I tune in the correct station. Then we'll see if I'm eating crow for dinner.

Edit: Sometimes crow tastes good. That said, this is a different radio. It's a Kaito Voyager Pro KA600 and the weather band is channelized -- CH-1 thru CH-7 so there's no guessing. Channel 1 comes through quite well; Channel 2 (marine) is weaker but strong enough. The audio quality sucks but that's prolly a function of a narrow bandwidth and synthetic audio. Still, very good for what is intended.

BTW, the Kaito Voyager has it's own solar panel in addition to the handcrank. It also has an input for 6VDC and both USB In and Out. If you have 120VAC power and the 6VDC adaptor you can charge a cell phone or other USB device as well as the onboard NiMH battery pack. Lots of power options. cool

Edited by Russ (02/20/14 02:11 PM)
Edit Reason: Still eating crow