Originally Posted By: Steve
In a way that might be hard for many on this forum to imagine, some Scouts (and their parents) come to this with little practical knowledge, so that, e.g., despite your instructions to bring a quart canteen in a day pack, they show up for a day hike hand-carrying a too-small bottle of water.

Not hard at all Steve. Even the parents who DO know a thing or two can be just as bad, in many cases worse. Case in point, a few of the Dad's were talking about the packs the boys put together for their Tenderfoot requirement, bare minimum equipment from what I can tell, and they were talking about how, after a few camp outs and figuring out what they did and did not need, the boys could LIGHTEN their packs and take LESS equipment. I can't IMAGINE what these dads think they can eliminate from the pack. It's hard to get everyone on board with realizing that to be prepared means you HAVE to take it with you. One of our scouts has even been talking about how LITTLE gear he takes when he goes hiking outside of scouting events (presumably with a buddy or a family member(s) I hope??).

In more serious outings there may be mandatory gear checks, but for situations like a day hike, especially for a newcomer, it is a gentle real-life instruction to go ahead and let them get tired of carrying that water bottle. And, when they drink it all and are thirsty again, to offer some of the extra water I brought just for that purpose.

That is an excellent teaching opportunity to take advantage of, and bringing the extra yourself adds a margin of safety, however what do you do when the next event the scout does the same thing? Maybe he knows you are bringing extra and he doesn't have to worry about it? Maybe he couldn't convince his parents that he needs a bigger water bottle? Once people realize someone else will be prepared for them, it can get even harder to get them to do it.

Another hint... On an overnight outing I sometimes put a chemical light stick at the outhouse and another at the campsite, so Scouts don't get lost going to the bathroom in the night (they should have a buddy anyway, but, hey, even two can get turned around at night).

That is a GREAT idea.