Thanks everyone for all the thoughtful responses! And yes, this is Cub Scouting... not the more advanced Boy Scouting. I'm sure you'd all agree it's never to early to start thinking about the right way to do this... so we're ready in the future.

I plan to take the training issue more seriously for all the reasons stated. The BSA does offer training courses too, and I'll further investigate those options along with the other ones mentioned. A number of the dads in our pack & den have completed the BSA's BALOO (Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation) training course. I was also considering the BSA's IOLS (Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills) training. There are also some first-aid type classes available at our Council's "University of Scouting".

The meds issue, and the associated pitfalls, are a little clearer to me now. Just to clarify, I gave the meds in their original packaging to the kid's dad (who was with us at camp, and he administered it to his kid). I can see how that could still be problematic from a liability standpoint.

Thanks for all your insight!