I don't need a headlamp for SAR but have been pleased with the Black Diamond Storm for a couples years on the trail or for late night DAT calls for the Red Cross. Important features include modulating between very bright ~90-100 lumens and a far more face friendly low lumen output. And a red LED setting that I'll use when completing paperwork but for some reason freaks out fire victims, so low lumen for them. Waterproof and runs on 4xAAAs and accepts Eneloops and has a very nice time to discharge - I haven't run out of power but I also switch to fresher batteries before each rotation. What I like especially about the Storm though is that it fits on a lapel for my Red Cross vest which I can direct down and switch on and off without having the slightly dweeby headlamp on my forehead while I'm interviewing clients. Handsfree is very nice when you're taking notes, snapping pix of fire damages etc. I might also attach it to webbing on my pack shoulder strap but so far have only used it in headlamp mode. I got by with 20th century lights until I bought the Storm and I've been impressed with the thought and features with this 21st century light. I see the 2014 Storm has slightly better specs and retails for $49.95 while the 2013 Storm is on closeout for $34, its mighty tempting to purchase the 2014 and get a 2013 as a reliable second backup. Lights are like potato chips after all, you can't have just one or two.