Hello All,
I have a question / scenario for you to ponder...

I'm a new Cub Scout Den Leader this year and have put together a number of my own BOB's, shelter-in place kits, car kits, FAK's etc. over the last number of years. Thanks to this forum, I've been far more prepared than I was previously.

Last summer at scout camp I was prepared with a small First Aid Kit (FAK) and was able to help out with a few minor bumps & bruises. One Scouter dad was pretty impressed that, to his surprise,I had some children's tylenol along in my kit. He ended up giving some to his kid. I told him my kit was customized for that weekend activity, and that I had tried to "be prepared". In this case, the camp was run by a quality staff with medical training and plenty of medical supplies with a few minutes walk. I just happened to have My FAK on me, in my backpack when it was needed. grin

I'm starting to think that as my son grows older (he's 8 now), I should create a kit that's more appropriate to the activities we'll be doing together. This includes Cub Scout camping activities like easy hiking, outdoor games, fishing, boating, etc.

For those of you who don't exactly push the high adventure boundaries of the great outdoors, what ingredients are in your day hike backpack? I know the Boy Scouts of America has their recommended essential items. I also know that sometimes those lists can be oversimplifications. Since I'm comfortable building my own kits, I'd like to hear your thoughts. I already have one of those small Adventure Medical Kits - Ritter Pocket Survival Pack (I think that's what it's called?). I also have a few other "essentials" like a whistle, flashlight, compass, etc.

As part of this effort, I'd like to create a small FAK small enough to not weigh me down. I'd especially like your suggestions for a pocket first aid book, booklet, guide, (or Internet downloadable sheet) to keep in the FAK.

My goal is to never be the leader of one of those scout groups we see from time to time in the news... you know the ones... "that guy" who decided to take the boys on a short hike in a national forest, got a little lost, or got slowed down by someone who got hurt and didn't have a FAK ... and then the worried parents dispatched the SAR team to go find them. I know i dont want to be the leader who didn't have a compass, a bottle of water or a change of clothes with him.

Please help me not be "that guy".

So the question is.... What's in your Cub Scout leader backpack? (Even if you're not a Scouter ... theoretical rsponses welcome too)

Thanks in advance!