Originally Posted By: celler
Satellite data rates have always been high priced and limited data, so don't think you are going to get anything near what your cellular carrier is offering.
Globalstar also has a competing device they call the Sat-Fi. Iridium looks like they are going to get their device to market first. Globalstar potentially may have a speed advantage as their satellite constellation is newer because of the amplifier issue they had a couple of years ago necessitating a forced upgrade.
We'll, the applications I have in mind are for locations that have no cell coverage, so something is better than nothing. Sounds like the higher data rates after 2015 might be more workable however.

Regarding Globalstar,, it has a very poor reputation in Alaska, at least for voice coms. Apparently Globalstar's satellites are optimized for mid latitudes. Unless one has a very clear view to the south their sat phones don't work worth a sh_t in Alaska (though I am told they may add some satellites and this may improve somewhat in the future).