2.4kbs is not what I would call modest, but more like excruciatingly painful slow. Think back in the days of monochrome monitors and text only email. And that's about all you are going to be able to do at that speed. I'm thinking no Flash, no high resolution images, and video is totally out the window.

I'm thinking its going to attach to one Andriod or one IOS device that is utilizing an app that throttles all the demands to a usable level and makes sure you don't use your data allotment on a couple of unexpected app updates. Expectations of connecting 4 or 5 devices at that speed are just silly.

Satellite data rates have always been high priced and limited data, so don't think you are going to get anything near what your cellular carrier is offering.

I'm very interested in how this is going to work in the real world, but I am not going to be one of the early adopters.

Globalstar also has a competing device they call the Sat-Fi. Iridium looks like they are going to get their device to market first. Globalstar potentially may have a speed advantage as their satellite constellation is newer because of the amplifier issue they had a couple of years ago necessitating a forced upgrade.

I'll keep an eye out for the consumer use reviews.