Interesting Device.

From what I have read data speeds are slow (2.4Kbps). which is slightly better than dialup. I would not expect a fluid response with bandwidth thirsty apps like netflix, youtube, facebook, etc.... (I wouldn't expect such apps to be usable on such a slow connection)

Although data speeds are reportedly to increase (1.5Mbps) when Iridium "Next" rolls out in 2015 (according to Iridium). 1.5Mbps is still significantly slower than broadband connections of ten years ago but could pass as acceptable in a wilderness setting.

Additionally, this device brings along the caveats for any powered device operating in the wilderness - energy. How much energy to bring along (extra batteries) and can any energy be transferred in the field? (More batteries and adapter cables to bring along)

In the moment of need I prefer to turn my handset on and make a call. A connection between GO and the smartphone is required and fumbling around with a smartphone menu and wifi connections is not something that will decrease the time of initial communications. That could be a problem if you are depending on a non-techie person in your group to get the devices to "talk" to each other (and you are the one in need of help).

Depending on one device working rather than two seems to me a better bet. I see this device and others like it terrific for casual communications.