Originally Posted By: bigmbogo
This is continuing to perplex me.
I like the fur-edged hood method, but the trouble is that they are attached to super-warm parkas. On my hike I wore just fleece with a really thick wool shirt over the top, which worked perfectly. In a parka I would have roasted.

I am going to Google around and see if I can find just a separate hood that I can wear with any type of jacket. I like that it would provide a warmer layer of air around my face while still allowing moist breath to flow freely out.

Is the whole face in danger of frostbite? I always picture it more dangerous to the pointed edges with little blood circulation, like ears and nose. Can you get bit on chin, cheeks, eyelids, lips?

David

David,

The last question first, YES!!!!! any or all of the face can get frostbite. The cheeks are particularly common.

A fur ruff on a light parka used to be common in the far north. If you are wearing appropriate clothing, even down to -20 or so running dogs off a packed trail, a heavy parka is way too hot. A canvas anorak (the one from Duluth Pack http://duluthpack.com/home-cabin/clothing-accessories/pathfinder-canvas-anorak.html is typical) is the traditional outer wear. In colder weather the duffel (wool) shirt (http://duluthpack.com/home-cabin/clothing-accessories/pathfinder-wool-blanket-shirt.html) or parka was worn under the shell. A heavy parka (fur, down or now synthetic) was carried for stops. Duluth used to sell the button on ruff as an extra. Don't know if they still do. Some have a ruff that toggles or buttons on so that one may be used for both parka's. It makes the parka easier to clean as well. I went modern on my parka and used velcro. It has both advantages and disadvantages (makes the tunnel stiff which is good most of the time) and makes it faster to change, but it is too stiff on the light parka when folded back. I quit using it on my light parka and went back to buttons.

I have found that a detachable hood is often not useful. The ones I have tried are usually too small and or too poorly attached (3 or 4 snaps) to carry a ruff. They also leak air through the attachment when the wind is blowing. The only one I still use is on a down sweater that is worn under a wind parka. The outer hood has the ruff and blocks the wind. It is just an addition to my watch cap or balaclava.

Respectfully,

Jerry