Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Great post Bacpac. Nice to get the kids out on a winter day.

As for the sled problems, check out this Pulk Sled from Jason Klass. Be sure to watch the imbedded YT video on the page. Too bad his blog is all but abandoned as Jason had some great gear ideas and reviews.

I made a Pulk Sled based on his design and it works great. But with the utter lack of snow this year in the local mountains, it is in storage in the in-laws garage However, next time we get over that way, I will dig it out and take some pics. You can also Google for Pulk Sled ideas and you will find budget build designs up to several hundred dollar expedition designs.

Canadian Tire used to carry a better sled then the one you have and is what I based my Pulk Sled on. IIRC, it was $29.00 but I do not see it on their website but it may be in stores.

In the meantime, to prevent baby from sliding on the plastic, a small carpeted top with rubber bottom door mat to put in the bottom of the sled will help. A bit of creativity with a cheap fastex or cam lock webbing strap along with a drill and small bolts, nuts and washers to secure the webbing strap to the sides of the sled will also keep baby from sliding around. Think of it as a sled seat belt.

Finally, try waxing the bottom of the sled, even with a couple of applications of cheap Turtle wax will make a big difference in terms of less drag through the snow.

Thanks Teslinhiker!

We haven't had a lot of snow this year either. Lots of a little at a time, but we've still only have maybe a foot. It's been too cold to for the little one to go sledding until yesterday.

The last time we winter camped was three winters ago and I made up my mind then and there that I was going to make a pulk sled before we went again. A rope leash works but isn't the most effective way to pull the sleigh.

I think the Can Tire sled you're talking about is the same one I was looking for when I got this one. They didn't have any then but maybe I'll have better luck now that Christmas is over.

This one's ok. It's got holes pre-drilled for cordage, but the sides aren't as deep.

Love the carpet idea! Someone else suggested putting in an actual babyseat, but I think the carpet and a strap will work just fine. A seat will make her sit even higher in the sleigh, and increase her tippyness.

Thanks again!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA