Great points, bws48.

Parents have a particular challenge in planning for their children.

Hadn't thought about carpooling, that is really a challenge -- good to start this conversation with fellow carpoolers in advance of a situation.

Those who use mass transit really have to be strategic. I had a very unpleasant experience shortly after moving to DC a long time ago (pre-Dopplar). I lived in northern Virginia and my daily commute to downtown DC entailed a Metro bus that travelled I-395 to the Pentagon, where I rode a subway train across (well, underneath) the river.

The weather forecast one January morning when I left for work called for cold temps (20s-30s) and a chance of some flurries. No big deal, so I dressed as I normally did on a cold day -- long wool coat, gloves, hat, scarf, wool pants and leather flats with trouser socks. Our offices were on the top floor of our building.

I looked outside mid-morning and it was more than flurries. I kept working though some others who normally arrived later had decided to stay home. Decided I'd go home after lunch. Looked out the window occasionally but didn't bother to look down at the street.

Took me six hours to get home and I walked part of the last two miles after the bus jackknifed and got stuck. I was considering curling up in a snowdrift when a woman stopped her car and offered a lift. Wherever she is, God bless her. That was the storm which caused the Metro authorities to install heaters on the electrified "third rails" which had become buried under snow and crippled the subway system.

The morning forecast of "flurries" gave way that day to the reality of 15" of snow.

It make a lasting impression upon me. I began preparing for the worst - starting with keeping boots at the office.