it seems like a lot of this equipment is a luxury rather than a dependency. i know a lot of people might say that they can depend on their PSKs (personal survival kits) because they always have them on their person, but would also be prepared in the event that the PSK wasnt available, or equipment failure occured. i think you are right though, and learning other skills is important, not just for survival purposes, but for general knowledge. i would much rather be the person who can start a fire without any tools, rather than a guy with a bic lighter and some cotton balls. granted, tools can mean the difference between survival and failure, but much is lost if there isnt an educated foundation of basic skills.

that being said, i am new to the board also. ive been having a bit of a hard time figuring out all of the acronyms used on the board... EDC? anyways, lots of good information here. i am interested in outdoor activites, toyota off-roading, and now, learning survival skills and techniques.

danny