I was staying in a hotel when the fire alarm went off. It was 2:00 in the afternoon, so I was already dressed. Shoes and briefcase (business trip), out the door, down the hall, down the stairs (3rd floor room), and out the door.

What was really concerning was while I was hauling butt down the hall, most of the hotel residents were just standing in the doorways and gawking.

In my experience, these are the things you will have, and I've been through, while staying at a hotel are:

1) Weird travel schedule - I rarely to arrive at a hotel in time for a decent dinner and often badly jet lagged. Meal replacement bars are better then going for fast food at 10:00 at night or raiding the vending machines. Chewable Dramamine (dimenhydrinate, not meclozine) is the best short term sedative I've found for adjusting my sleep schedule. Meclozine takes about 2 days to work out of your system.

2) Other guests - Egomaniacs, nyphomaniacs, inebriates, missionaries, and abstentee parents who think the entire bleeping hotel is a day care center. Earplugs are NOT optional, and don't park under a balcony if you can help it.

3) Food poisoning - Bring Immodium and Pepto as you will be too sick to go out.

4) Fire alarms - You're in the middle of a city and can buy replacements for what gets left behind. Your wallet, perscription medications, cell phone, valuables, and paperwork for the trip (hotel, rental car, airplane, etc.) needs to be in your BOB/daybag while you're sleeping.

5) Power outages - Flashlights. 'Nuff said.

6) Wardrobe malfunction - Most hotels have irons in the room, but none have a tailor in the hotel. Carry a sewing kit with iron-on repair patches.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane