"Money doesn't talk , it swears!" (Bob Dylan). I always carry cash. In my wallet is an emergency stash. In my pocket is an amount for work day needs, plus a bit more. An additional stash is in whatever happens to be my EDC bag. At various times an ankle sack or IWB hanging looped sack, both by Eagle Creek or a money belt ( see below) replaces the wallet or EDC bag stash. I might leave some in my hotel safe Amounts vary based on how flush I am and how far/long I will be way from home.

When I was a kid and NYC was a lot rougher than it is now, even though we were by no means well off, I and my friends always carried "mugger money". $5-$10. Enough to pay for a fix or two for the junkie mugger. (Yes, it was a long time ago.). That was the origin of the saying that cash saves your life.

Today, cash still buys you a ride, an unavailable hotel room in a blizzard, admission to a "full up" train/plane, a ride in an "off duty" taxi and a host of other products and services, unavailable with plastic. If you want a simple demo, go into a small shop and as you checkout, show your Am Ex Card, since it has the highest vendor fees. Then ask if there's a discount if you pay in cash greenbacks. More times than not, you can save 5-10%.

As to money belts, the best one I've used, so far, is the Blackscout Survival belt. Light nylon, plastic hardware, unique elastic slots on back, allow you to slide in cash,, and other small objects. It doesn't print, isn't dressy, does not stand out as unusual. Comes with accessories that you should omit in certain venues. . Downside is that it a bit pricey.

Edited by acropolis5 (01/03/14 06:53 AM)